This page is your window to a variety of Personal Financial Planning resources and projects provided by the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and the B.I. Moody III College of Business Administration.
Our money is a lot like our health - life is better when we take good care of it. But there are real and constant challenges to managing it the best we can. The purpose of this site and of these resources is to help you take control of your financial situation - both while you're a student and in the future - to help you have all the options and opportunities to create the life you want.
More than anything, our goal is to help money management and financial planning become a source of empowerment for you and not a source of stress.
In addition to providing resources on this site, we also periodically hold workshops,consulting sessions, town hall meetings and other forums that are designed for specific student groups. If you are interested in having us provide a financial planning event for you or your group, please contact Brian Bolton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Personal Financial Planning Books
The books below were written by UL Lafayette faculty, explicitly for UL Lafayette students. These books include a lot of personal finance foundations, concepts and exercises for you to help you build your financial planning skills and confidence.
Download the Personal Financial Planning for College Students book
Download the Personal Financial Planning for Graduate Students book
This version of the book incorporates additional perspectives, challenges and opportunities that are unique to graduate students. If you are a doctoral student with a future in academia, this book has some career planning and financial planning discussion that you may not have seen elsewhere.
Download the Personal Financial Planning for Entrepreneurs book
This version of the book provides dedicated advice and case studies that address the unique personal, business and financial situations that entrepreneurs frequently face. If you are an artist, a musician, a hobbyist, a consultant, an advisor or a master of the side-hustle, you are an entrepreneur. And this book is for you.
These books are designed to help you develop a long-term financial plan. We encourage you to go through these books thoughtfully and intentionally, thinking about your own unique values, goals and priorities. We encourage you to approach this book with an open mind and an open heart. And we encourage you to make this experience as personal as possible. Everybody is different – and everybody has different financial knowledge, different financial situations and different financial futures. Personal finance is very personal. Make this experience about you and your future. Customize this experience for yourself so you can take control of your financial future.
Other Personal Finance Resources
There are a multitude of Personal Financial Planning resources available for free on the internet. We encourage you to use them and to learn from them. We have provided a few resources below that we use in class and in campus events that can help you in your financial planning.
During 2021-2022, the Graduate School launched a series of Money Matters monthly meetings, with focused topics designed to help graduate students think about financial planning. The slide-decks from those Money Matters meetings are below:
- Download the Money Matters session slides on Investing (September 2021)
- Download the Money Matters session slides on Budgeting (October 2021)
- Downlaod the Money Matters session slides on Debt Management (October (2021)
- Download the Money Matters session slides on Career Planning (November 2021)
- Download the Money Matters session slides on Financial Planning for International Students (January 2022)
- Download the Money Matters session slides on Tax Planning Strategies (February 2022)
- Download the Money Matters session slides on Student Loans & Debt Management (March 2022)
- Download the Money Matters session slides on Investing Strategies (March 2022)
Download the Money Matters session slides on Career Planning & Financial Planning (April 2022)
- We will continue to hold Money Matters - and other workshops - in the future, so please check back for dates and additional resources.
In addition to the Money Matter Sessions for Graduate School, we reguarly give Personal Finance presentations in other contexts and to other groups. Some of these resources are below:
Download the UNIV 100 slides on Creating a Financial Plan for Undergraduate Students (October 2021)
- Download the Accelerate Northside slides on Accounting, Business Finance & Personal Finance for Entrepreneurs (October 2021)
- Download the Accelearate St. Landry slides on Accounting, Business Finance & Personal Finance for Entrepreneurs (November 2021)
- Download the Accelearate Vermilion slides on Accounting, Business Finance & Personal Finance for Entrepreneurs (February 2022)
- Download the Accelerate Acadia slides on Accounting, Business Finance & Personal Finance for Entrepreneurs (March 2022)
- Download the Accelerate Northside slides on Accounting, Business Finance & Personal Finance for Entrepreneurs (March 2022)
- Download the Accelerate Iberia slides on Accounting, Business Finance & Personal Finance for Entrepreneurs (May 2022)
UL System - Bridging the Divide Program
In Summer 2022, the UL System launched a series of outreach programs under its inaugural "Bridging the Divide" program - including mental health, grant-writing, online teaching and financial literacy.
Money Matters: A UL System Financial Wellness Series comprised the following 6 workshops, open and available to all students, faculty and staff within the 9 universities of the UL System. The resources below hope to help all UL System constituents take better control of their financial futures and turn money issues from a source of stress to a font of personal empowerment. We hope to continue and expand this work beyond Summer 2022; if you have any requests for future topics and programs, please let us know and we will try to make it happen.
- Investing Goals, Habits & Strategies (June 22) - Download the slides here
- Budgeting & Debt Management (July 6) - Download the slides here
- Investing for Retirement, Education & Other Special Events (July 13) - Download the slides here
- Investing for International Students, Faculty & Staff (July 20) - Dowload the slides here
- Tax Planning for Budgeting, Investing & Retirement (July 27) - Download the slides here
- Career Planning: Your Money & Your Future (August 3) - Download the slides here
Louisiana Economic Activity Forecasts
Every quarter, Dr. Gary Wagner (UL Lafayette Economics Professor, Acadiana Business Economist and Endowed Chair in Economics) publishes a Louisiana Economic Activitiy Forecast LEAF). Each report summarizes recent economic activity - including inflation, jobs, industries and trends - and projects future economic activity in Louisiana. While these reports do not specifically address personal finance issues, they do provide some context for the broader macroeconomic issues that may be affecting our personal finance situations.
Brian Bolton (email@example.com)
This page is maintained by Brian Bolton, Professor of Finance and the Dwight W. Andrus, Jr. / BORSF Eminent Scholar Endowed Chair in Finance at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Brian is passionate about championing student success and students owning their future - and so we created this project and these resources to help you do just that. Brian is very grateful to Mr. Dwight Andrus, Jr., to the Louisiana BORSF and to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette for making this work possible.
Brian can be your main point of contact, but he is not the only one involved in this effort. Moody College of Business Dean Linda Nichols, Graduate School Dean Mary Farmer-Kaiser, Economics & Finance Department Head Sarah Skinner, Graduate School Assistant Dean Philip de Mahy, Professors Bill Ferguson, Maria Slater, Mary Luquette and many others have been instrumental in leading these efforts - and will continue to be instrumental in helping you achieve the educational, personal and financial futures that you want.