The B.I. Moody III College of Business Administration enrolls over 2,800 undergraduate and graduate students (as of Fall 2019). Undergraduate students pursue a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) degree. We offer majors in eight areas of business: accounting; economics; finance; hospitality management; insurance and risk management; management; marketing; and professional land and resource management.
Graduate degrees are offered for Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Business Administration/Health Care Administration, Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA) and Master of Science in Accounting. Graduate Certificate in Business Administration, Post Master's Health Care Administration Certificate, and Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Accounting are also available.
The B.I. Moody III College of Business Administration began as the Department of Business in 1902. For more than a century, Moody Business has developed ethically responsible professionals and scholars who positively impact our Acadiana region, Louisiana, and the global community. More than 23,000 alumni worldwide have earned their business degree from UL Lafayette.
- 1902 The first Department of Business began at the University of Louisiana Lafayette, then Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute. The department began in the College of Liberal Arts and was housed there for approximately 50 years.
- 1926 First Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) degree awarded in College of Liberal Arts
- 1952 Establishment of College of Commerce
- 1954 First Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) degree awarded in College of Commerce
- 1963 F.G. Mouton Hall completed and designated College of Commerce building
- 1973 College of Commerce reorganized to departments of: Accounting, Economics, General Business, Management, Marketing, Office Administration, and Business Communication
- 1975 Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree offered
- 1978 Petroleum Land Management major formed and received accreditation from American Association of Petroleum Landmen (AAPL)
- 1980 College renamed to College of Business Administration
- 1981 First student graduates from the Petroleum Land Management program
- 1983 Louisiana Small Business Development Center (LSBDC) at UL Lafayette formed
- 1992 Hospitality Management program formed in the College of Applied Life Sciences
- 1994 MBA Health Care Administration degree (February) and Insurance and Risk Management major approved (August)
- 1995 College achieves AACSB accreditation
- 1996 Petroleum Land Management major renamed to Professional Land and Resource Management
- 1999 Business Systems Analysis and Technology Department formed
- 2002 College renamed to B.I. Moody III College of Business Administration
- 2005 College reaccredited by AACSB and construction of Moody Hall completed
- 2006 Hospitality Management program acquired from the College of Applied Life Sciences
- 2008 College appears on Princeton Review’s Best 300 Colleges list
- 2010 College reaccredited by AACSB
- 2011 Accounting program achieves separate AACSB Accounting Accreditation
- 2012 Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA) program launched (August)
- 2013 Hospitality Management program receives accreditation by the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration (ACPHA). Northwestern Mutual Sales and Research Lab opens (May). Master of Science in Accounting program approved (August).
- 2014 Graduate Certificate in Business Administration and Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Accounting approved (May)
- 2015 College and Accounting program both reaccredited by AACSB
- 2017 Maraist Financial Services Lab breaks ground at FG Mouton Hall. MBA online program launched (Fall).
- 2018 Hospitality Management “Lunch Club” celebrates 30th anniversary. Maraist Financial Services Lab opens (August).
- 2019 Online BSBA in Management announced (Spring). Reorganization of departments (Summer). Launch 100% online BSBA in Management and created Investment minor (Fall).
- Hospitality Management receives reaccreditation by ACPHA (April)
- Transition to 100% online Master of Science of Accounting program (Spring)
Moody College of Business Deans
1952-1976 Dr. Herbert Hamilton, Dean
1976-1977 Dr. Paul Burnam, Acting Dean
1977-1986 Dr. Rex Hauser, Dean
1986-1990 Dr. Dave Manuel, Dean
1990-1998 Dr. Jan Duggar, Dean
1998-1999 Dr. Jim Underwood, Acting Dean
1999-2002 Dr. Michael Fronmueller, Dean
2002-2003 Dr. Steve Knouse, Acting Dean
2003-2005 Dr. Lewis Gale, Dean
2005-2006 Dr. Paula Carson, Acting Dean
2006-2007 Ellen Cook, Acting Dean
2007-2015 Dr. Joby John, Dean
2015-2017 Dr. Gwen Fontenot, Interim Dean
2017-2019 Dr. Bret Becton, Dean
2019-Current Dr. Geralyn Franklin, Interim Dean